Portfolio 21 believes that strong, vibrant local economies are essential for economic, social and environmental well-being.
We believe that investing in local economies is desirable and beneficial to people and the planet as well as providing unique diversification opportunities. We participate in community investing through community banks, and loan funds with a primary focus on the sustainability of local economies.
Community banks, credit unions and loan funds often provide financing support in economically disadvantaged communities that are underserved by conventional lending institutions. Loans are provided on a scale, at a cost, and with technical support that is not usually available from more conventional sources. Our current community investments support Albina Community Bank, One Pacific Coast Bank, Craft3, Self-Help Credit Union, and Community Friends.
- Albina Community Bank is one of approximately 60 commercial banks across the country certified as a Community Development Financial Institution by the U.S. Treasury. Deposits at Albina are reinvested in local Portland, OR neighborhoods. Portfolio 21 helped start the bank.
- Beneficial State Bank builds prosperity into local communities through economically and environmentally sustainable banking services provided to the traditionally underserved on the west coast in California, Oregon and Washington.
- Craft3 is a non-profit community development financial institution with a mission to strengthen economic, ecological and family resilience in Pacific Northwest communities. Craft3 makes loans to entrepreneurs, non-profits and others who don’t normally have access to financing.
- Self-Help Credit Union combines several organizations that together provide financing, technical support, consumer financial services and advocacy, particularly to female, low-income, low-wealth, rural and minority communities across North Carolina, Washington D.C., and California.
- Portfolio 21's founder launched the Community Friends Social Investment Fund, a non-profit micro-enterprise fund supporting local village economies in economically disadvantaged regions.